Back in 1921 a small group of local Broomehill residents and farmers called a meeting and formed the Broomehill & District Co-operative Co. Ltd.
The fledgling company, having survived the depression years and a world war, decided to extend its operations to Katanning. In 1943 it purchased a local business from H. Smith & Son and renamed the company Broomehill & Katanning District Co-operative Co. Ltd.
In 1946 the Woodanilling Co-operative amalgamated with the company to form the BKW (Broomehill, Katanning, Woodanilling) Co-operative Limited – as it is known today. Over the years the Katanning business has continued to grow and expand with a new hardware complex being completed in 2001.
Today, as it started in Broomehill all those years ago, The Co-op has remained a local community owned business – your business – providing old fashioned country service at Competitive prices.
- To serve the long-term interests and needs of our active members.
- To supply quality goods, produce and services at competitive prices – value for money – to our members and the general public.
- To at all times offer exceptional friendly service to our customers with a full acknowledgement that they, by their continued support, ensure our livelihood.
- To ensure maximum return to our members whilst promoting the healthy growth of the cooperative and the community.
- To promote the growth and development of the Central Great Southern region.
Cooperatives are member-owned, member-governed businesses that operate for the benefit of their members.